Halloween is one of my absolute favorite holidays…and surprisingly it’s not just because Hocus Pocus is on constantly for several weeks in a row (but that certainly helps).
The spooky, but exciting vibe resonating through the crisp air as people gallivant through their neighborhoods, seeking out the most decorated houses to trick or treat (because they are usually the ones that give out the best candy).
For me the love all started at a young age. My family went all out with the decorations: picture webs all over every tree and bush, glowing jack o'lanterns, bats that started flapping and screeching when you walked by, and a creepy sign that said "Boo Boulevard" held by a skeleton that reminded me of the Crypt Keeper. It was perfect!
Obviously, half the fun of Halloween is dressing up! The ability to be anyone and anything or a night (or 5 in a row if you are in college) makes it a night like no other. BUT if you are anything like me, you waited until the last minute to decide what you want to be, it’s too late to order anything online at this point (unless you want to pay shipping costs that are more than the costume itself) and the panic is starting to set it! Have no fear! There is still hope for your fright night ensemble!
1. Masks: The masquerade look is simple and seductive.
2. Ears, horns, and makeup: 3 things to make the perfect devil, bunny, cat, dog or lion. Wear appropriate corresponding colors, and you are good to go!
3. Hit the Halloween Store: Everything is on sale at this point, so you may actually hit the jackpot…just be patient because you may have to sift through piles similar to a Forever 21 or H&M sale rack. Speaking of which…you can get some really inexpensive pieces to create a rock star, movie star, pop star look at either store.
4. School Girl: All you need is a pleated skirt and a blazer…you can also pass as a Harry Potter character.
5. Think Decades: They say fashion trends always come back around because, well, they do. Look through your closet (or you mom’s closet) to put together a 50s, 60s, 70s, or 80s costume.
6. Revamp things you never will wear again: Your old prom dress = Princess Peach; that suede halter top that I wore to an 8th grade dance=Shakira
Surprisingly as much as I like to dress up and eat all the candy my heart desires…Halloween is my least favorite holiday. I hate the creepy vibe that I get on Halloween night. However, my fears do not stop me from dressing up (I generally plan my costume out months in advance). But, for all of you procrastinators I have some great, fast, and easy costume ideas:
7. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Who doesn’t want to be Audrey Hepburn everyday? All you need is a LBD, big sunglasses, gloves and a pearl necklace. Throw your hair into a top knot, and pin anything that sparkles in your bun…you're done!
8. Pop Star: Pull out all your sequins clothes and put it all together! Don’t forget your microphone!
9. TuTu’s: Any and every costume will look cuter and more festive if you add a tutu! They are so easy to make, just get yourself some tulle and watch a YouTube tutorial!!
10. French Artist: Wear a black and white striped shirt and black pants. For finishing touches, wrap a red scarf around your neck and put on a beret to top it off!
11. Minnie Mouse: All you need is ears, red shorts, white shirt, and suspenders if you have them
12. Red Coat from Pretty Little Liars: Creepy character, one accessory.