Part 2: Scents
I have an ultra sensitive sense of smell…it’s a blessing and a curse (and I know, kind of an odd observation, but the olfactory system cannot be ignored). But, alas, it’s true…so if you stink, I’ll smell you first; however since we are a glass half full kind of blog, we’re going to tell you all of the wonderful things that stimulating, succulent scents can do to the soul.
Fragrance=Feeling...So follow your snoz!
1. Cozy: I am obsessed with pumpkin smelling candles this time of year (#pumpkineverything), so when I can open the windows, feel a little chill in the Fall air, and snuggle up with the smell of pumpkin and caramel and permeating through my home, my heart is warm.
2. Christmasy: I apologize for even bringing this up; but here on the East Coast, it only gets colder from here on out. Whenever I start adding layers and bundling up in my biggest, warmest winter coat, I always pull out my Burberry London perfume. It reminds me of the good parts of winter: the first few fluffy snows, the holidays, peppermint mochas, and my UGGs!
3. Adventurous: This is a purely personal one, so some other smell may give you this feeling. When I studied abroad in Italy, the moisturizing hand soap that we kept buying for our flat was Softsoap Milk & Honey. At the time, it was just soap. But now, every time I smell that soap I get this excited knot in my stomach that makes me want to travel and explore. If you are going on a meaningful vacation, or moving to a new place for a period of time, pick a soap scent and stick with it. A few years later, buy it again and those nostalgic feelings will come rushing back.
4. Teeny Bopper-esk: If you are my age, you probably remember when every gift circa the 4th and 5th grade that we gave and received was something from Bath and Body Works…and if you were really lucky, it came in a really fancy gift basket with the wrap that they would blow dry to shrink around your products. (This is also around the time when Bath and Body Works still sold makeup…I really loved my “Rainbow's End” lipstick.) Well, when I smell Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon, it takes me right back to the days of a 17-year-old Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys coming back the first time, and my Gateway 2000 with no internet being the coolest and biggest gift ever!
5. Energized: The smell of coffee, no matter what time of day wakes me up! Even if I’m not the one drinking it, the scent of a fresh brew gets me ready to go!
6. Free: Fresh cut grass. It makes me feel like it’s a sunny Saturday morning, and I have no work, no school, no problems. The day is going to be good, and full of whatever fun needs to be had.
If you want to feel the following, find the fragrances!
7. Clean: My Fresh Cotton Sheets candle makes my room feel clean and spotless even if it doesn’t look it! I also love burning this scent when spring comes around to get me motivated to actually clean!
8. Elegant: The most elegant feeling for me is wearing my Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb perfume (available at Sephora). It has a very strong and sophisticated musk, and only requires one spritz to emulate immediate elegance.
9. Studious: I absolutely love the smell of new books! I literary will sit down to read because I’m obsessed with the amazingly crisp scent of the pages. If only the books stayed this way through the end of the school year…
10. Polished: The scent of a freshly painted manicure can make any girl feel shiny and new.
11. Festive: During the cold months, walking outside and smelling your neighbors chimney burning immediately brings on the holiday spirit.
12. Fun: Effortlessly fun weekend movie nights with friends and family are relaxed, perfect, and necessary! I don’t know about you, but walking into the movie theater and getting a whiff of popping popcorn and melted butter makes my mouth water and my heart melt!